Saturday, October 20, 2012

That was the time

That was the time I almost drownded,
nose full of green weeds in mud water
and bull rushes hiding my bald head.

That was the time when a crazed black jeep
curved the concrete apron and jumped
bloody glass over a white line wobble .

That was the time when a blue vein
hay-wired and the big bubble burst
and left me wordlesss in blank sleep.

That was the time in a dim alley
when a blind grey hood rushed dark
with a silver flash that cut for gold.

That was the time I misjudged wrath
and in the cute glow of a night light
that little ball peen sealed my doom.

That was the time when the rowboat
cycled and kicked up phosphorous
and laughed we over wales to black.

That was the time when I knotted hemp
in a basement casement with a knotted beam
and did the kick and jerk under lathed pine.

That was the time when my blade was hard
but the bolt from the phalanx surprised
and the sting and the red snort was good.

That was the time when my grey whiskers
stiffened and I laughed off the damasked chair,
collapsing into a peaceful wisp of dream.

That was.